Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Thunderstorms now looking likely on Thursday

12-24 hours can change a forecast pretty significantly, and with the latest NAM runs I'm now fairly confident we're going to see our first round of widespread thunderstorms this Thursday afternoon.


I'm not anticipating any severe weather at this point; the upper level jet doesn't look strong enough to drive them. Instability, however, will be on the rise, as will the temperatures and dewpoints. The latest NAM suggests widespread dewpoints in the 60s, which always causes me to open my eyes a bit. There are rumblings from NWS Detroit that suggest the model may be off a bit in the timing of the upper level cold pool, though, which would mean that it could be overinflating the level of instability. One way or another, I'm not thinking we're going to see much in the way of noteworthy wind, hail, or truly any hazards other than heavy rain and lightning. At the time, I'm outlining a general thunder risk for all of the areas marked by the NAM at 500j/kg of SBCAPE or higher, which will be much of the lower peninsula. Look for a warm, wet afternoon this Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment