Friday, November 6, 2015

MAJOR surprise severe weather event does damage throughout Thumb, SE Michigan

I apologize for the late post on this one, but I only JUST now got my power back. It was out since roughly 8:30 this morning. The reason for the outage only just now became truly clear to me.

That 5% chance I and the SPC put out regarding severe weather became a 100% chance for several communities. A major low-topped squall line plowed through the area, bringing with it near 75mph gusts and not one, not two, but three confirmed tornadoes.

Photos courtesy of WNEM.


What amazes me the most (and terrifies me a bit) about this is that this occurred at roughly 6:30AM EST. This means that the amount of instability these storms would have to work with would've been negligible at best, and they would've been very low-topped. No warnings were issued because NEXRAD saw literally NOTHING of note.

With that in mind, the storms this system produced managed to match or exceed the level of destruction that the storms on August 2nd left behind in some areas. Had this system been a few hours later, and plowed through during the afternoon hours with temperatures in, say, the upper 70° range with 60°+ dewpoints, well... thankfully it didn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment